Menu buttons


                 

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life with a puppy...

 She's adorable and a sweetheart - and she's taken over our lives!  I knew puppies were a lot of work, really I did.  But that knowledge doesn't make the adjustment any easier.  People compare puppies to newborns or toddlers - they wake up in the middle of the night, they insist on attention, you can't leave them unattended anywhere, and your whole schedule now revolves around how long you dare let them go in between trips outside to potty (the answer to that one is NOT LONG) - and they have a point, obviously.  So I have to admit that I am still mourning the loss of the freedom I found when my youngest started school.  Or maybe I should adjust my perspective and look at all the things the puppy has added to our lives...
Dog toys all over the living room floor.  A giant dog crate in the bedroom. The Spot Bot (total lifesaver invention!) that has taken up permanent residence in the pantry (for easy access when we have to clean up accidents).

Restricted access to the second floor (the first week she was here she was afraid to go up the stairs and we thought "great!  we've got it made!"  That didn't last long obviously so I went searching for options on Pinterest.  This gate design is Japanese, I think, and works pretty well.  We wanted something free-standing and easy for the kids to move)
A doggy door in the screen porch.

A bathroom that constantly smells like dog.  (This is where she eats and where she hangs out when she needs a break or we are running errands.  And yes, we usually find her under the toilet like that lol.  She's not going to be happy when she gets too big to fit back there!)

And two extremely happy kiddos!
And really that's what it's all about.  Despite the adjustments, this not-so-little-anymore bundle of the softest-fur-you've-ever-petted is a good addition to our family.  We all love her.  And I've seen a whole new side of the kids when it comes to taking responsibility and caring for the puppy.  They don't even complain when we send them out in the back yard with a shovel and a bucket to scoop up the you-know-what! :P

No comments: