Menu buttons


                 

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Craft Fail - Almost!

It should have been an easy project.  Kaitlyn wanted a bulletin board for her room.  No big deal right?  Buy an inexpensive bulletin board, slap some spray paint on it and viola!
Hahahahaha!  Nope!
I bought the bulletin board months ago, then finally pulled it out to cutesy it up (after many promptings from Miss Kate) one day when I was in Get It Done mode.  My first idea had been to spray a chevron pattern on it.  Yeah right!  Do you know how long it takes to try to tape out a chevron pattern?  And how particular you have to be with it to get it to look clean?  Yeah that idea survived all of 5 minutes with the 'ole painters tape before I decided to give up and go with stripes instead.

So then I sprayed it.  Easy enough.  And from far away it doesn't look bad.  But you know what happens when you buy a cheap bulletin board?

 The spray paint doesn't like to stick to cheap plastic frames and chips before it even makes it in the house.

And the thin cork sticks to the tape when you pull it off and causes holes.  Even when you are super careful and use the blow dryer.
So the poor bulletin board sat there for more weeks, with the tape half-removed because I didn't even want to think about it.  But there was my 9 year old who had been patiently waiting for the craft project I had promised her.  So the last time I took a trip to Hobby Lobby (and was in the fabric section anyway for supplies for a Halloween costume) I found some cute fabric - in the chevron pattern I had wanted originally.  Yay!  And the very next day (or maybe the one afterward) I pulled out the staple gun and attached the fabric.

Woohoo!  Much better right?!  And it took me all of 5 minutes.  Why didn't I do that in the first place?!!!

 Oh and adding the "nail heads" was a suggestion from a friend.  I wanted to give it a bit more detail than just fabric stretched over the board and I think these did just the trick.  As I wanted to get the project finished RIGHT NOW, instead of running to the craft store I simply painted a box of thumb tacks with spray paint and used them instead.
Ta-Daaa!  Now I have a happy Kaitlyn.  And one less project on my To Do list.

No comments: